Murder accused NDF officer makes maiden court appearance

The member of Namibia Defence Force who allegedly shot a 32-year -old, Benasius Kalola who later died in hospital during an operation Kalahari Desert patrol at single Quarters on the 5 September 2019 made his first appearance in Katutura Magistrate Court here on Monday.

Mulele Darrel Nyambe appeared before Magistrate Namwenyo Shikalepo and Prosecutor Vicky Likius was denied bail and the case was postponed to 29 January 2020 to allow the preparation for legal representation and further investigations as the matter is serious and still at a preliminary stage.

An aunt of Benesius Kalola, Laina Nekundi said she is not happy with the postponement of the case and losing a family member who was innocently shot and killed is not easy.

' We are not happy that the case is postponed and as to what will they do to the case that is postponed so far to January next year', Nekundi said.

Nekundi added that the family planned for a memorial service for Karola here in the capital on Tuesday and proceed on Wednesday with a second memorial service at Oshipumbu shomugongo in the Oshana region.

A unanimous cousin of Karola further claimed that the Namibian Police Force (NamPol accused)the deceased of charges of robbery of which family members are not aware of and if the NamPol had been looking for him, whid could their office not conduct the family members.

' if they were looking for him, why did they not come to look for him at home?' cousin asked.

The state requested the accused to remain in custody and apply for a formal bail.

Source: Namibia Press Agency