Resumption of football in Namibia, on right track: Tjongarero

The Minister of Sport, Youth and National Service, Agnes Tjongarero said the Normalisation Committee (NC) at the Namibia Football Association (NFA) is on the right track as far as the resumption of football is concerned.

Tjongarero in a recent written response to Popular Democratic Movement (PDM) parliamentarian Maximillian Katjimune on the state of football in the country, said several measures had been put in place to speed up the process of resuming football in Namibia.

“In preparation for the return of the league football, the NFA recently hosted a training program to teach relevant parties on the management of clubs, technical and financial management as well as match day operation and venue management amongst other things,” she said.

The NC, she added has solicited condition-based funding which they are busy with to ensure that they are compliant with the outlined conditions and gave assurance that the clubs are busy getting their houses to speed up the resumption of football.

On the issue of NFA readmitting the expelled Namibia Premier League, Tjongarero said the government has so far not intervened.

“It should be noted that the NC is at an advanced stage in resolving the aforementioned squabbles as announced on 22 September 2022 via media release. Thus, we wait for it (NC) to pronounce itself further on the matter,” she explained.

The mister also responded to the government’s decision to commit to a Joint Bid with Botswana to Co-Host the 2027 African Cup of Nations saying the bid is a great motivation for all those in the football fraternity and the nation at large.

“It is also the perfect opportunity for us to work out our differences and ensure that the Namibian Government in unison with the Government of Botswana gives the African continent the best football showcase ever,” Tjongarero said.

She said the bid committee has done their groundwork, hence Namibia and Botswana remain committed to the project that will leave a legacy of having FIFA/CAF-sanctioned stadiums in both countries.

Source: The Namibian Press Agency

World Food Day to be observed in Oshana Region

Namibia’s 16th World Food Day commemoration will this year be held in the Uukwiyuushona Constituency in the Oshana Region, Executive Director in the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Land Reform Ndiyakupi Nghituwamata said.

Nghituwamata in a media statement issued Monday said her ministry in partnership with the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), Oshana Regional Council, World Food Programme and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) will this year host World Food Day on 15 October.

The day will be held under the theme ‘Leave no one behind. Better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life for all’.

“World Food Day is observed each year on 16 October to commemorate the founding of FAO in 1945. The day seeks to promote worldwide awareness for those who suffer from hunger and for the need to ensure healthy diets for all,” she said.

The ED said millions of people around the world cannot afford a healthy diet, exposing them to high risk of food insecurity and malnutrition.

The day serves as a reminder that although progress has been made towards building a better world, too many people have been left behind who are unable to benefit from human development.

“This year’s action oriented campaign calls for global solidarity and for each of us to become change makers,” Nghituwamata added.

Source: The Namibian Press Agency

Farmworker dies in accident on farm in Kalkfeld area

A 34-year-old farmworker died instantly yesterday after he landed under the wheels of a trailer on Farm Radio in the Kalkfeld area.

Namibian Police Force spokesperson in the Otjozondjupa Region, Inspector Maureen Mbeha today told Nampa the deceased was identified by relatives as Hinamwene Shonena.

Shonena, who is an Angolan national, was being transported in the trailer attached to a tractor along with nine other farmworkers while on their way to put out a veld fire in the vicinity, said Mbeha.

“The deceased allegedly fell from the trailer, and the trailer’s rear wheel drove over him,” Mbeha said.

So far no foul play is suspected and a culpable homicide docket has been opened at the Kalkfeld Police Station.

(NAMPA)

MS/PS/AS

2 (JOHANNESBURG, 10 OCT, AFP) – South African police said today they would charge a 21-year-old man with six counts of murder after half a dozen bodies, some in an advanced state of decomposition, were found at a block of flats in downtown Johannesburg.

Police were called out after complaints of a foul smell coming from one of the apartments and found the body of a woman, police spokeswoman Brenda Muridili said in a statement.

The dead woman was wearing clothing matching the description of an individual who had been reported missing earlier this month, she said.

Police arrested and questioned a man believed to be the last person to have been seen with the woman.

‘(They then) went back to the building, and five more bodies were discovered outside the building where there is a makeshift workshop and rubbish dumpsters,’ Muridili said.

Forensics experts are working to identify the bodies and ‘police are following several leads,’ Muridili told AFP.

AFP

3 (PARIS, 10 OCT, AFP) – French President Emmanuel Macron expressed his ‘extreme concern’ about Russian strikes on Ukraine today during a call with his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky and promised that France would increase military aid.

‘The president spoke of his extreme concern about strikes that have caused civilian victims,’ Macron’s office said in a statement.

‘He reaffirmed his full and complete support for President Zelensky and the commitment of France to increase its support for Ukraine, in line with the needs expressed by Kyiv, including in terms of military equipment.’

AFP

4 (KUALA LUMPUR, 10 OCT, XINHUA) – Malaysian Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced the dissolution of the country’s parliament today, paving the way for national elections which must be held in the next 60 days.

In a televised speech, Ismail Sabri said he had received the consent of the country’s King Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah in accordance with the country’s constitution.

Ismail Sabri said the past years have seen several unprecedented developments after the national elections in 2018, including political uncertainties with the changes of several prime ministers and the COVID-19 pandemic, which together have harmed the country’s socio-economic and political situation.

The date of polling day is yet to be announced by the Election Commission of Malaysia.

Normally, a general election should be held no later than two months after the dissolution of the parliament.

XINHUA

5 (SHANGHAI, 10 OCT, AFP) – China recorded more than 2 000 Covid cases today, its highest level for a month, as officials imposed new lockdowns and restrictions to stop outbreaks from spreading to the capital ahead of the Communist Party Congress.

Although the latest case numbers are small by global standards, Beijing’s strict zero-Covid policy means any outbreaks must be immediately eradicated.

President Xi Jinping, who is expected to secure a historic third term in office, has championed the policy, and any significant outbreak ahead of Sunday’s Congress opening would prove highly embarrassing for the party.

In Shanghai, tens of thousands of people were under lockdown today, after multiple neighbourhoods were suddenly closed off over the weekend, following the discovery on Friday of 23 new infections.

Over 2 100 households in the financial hub were affected because of just one infection yesterday, according to a government briefing.

Residents reacted in shock as green fences were erected around buildings, recalling the city’s harsh two-month lockdown in spring, which saw widespread complaints over shortages of food and medical treatment.

Source: The Namibian Press Agency

Corporates urged to support netball

The main sponsors of the Namibia Netball Premier League (NNPL), Mobile Telecommunications Limited (MTC), has called on other corporates to rally behind netball in Namibia to improve the quality of the game.

Speaking at the prize handover ceremony on Saturday, MTC’s Corporate Communications Practitioner, Fikameni Mathias, said local netball can only be competitive if there are continuous competitions.

“As sponsors, we are proud of our investment in the girl child as through the sponsorships, netball matches were taken to all four corners of the country. We are therefore calling on other corporates to come on board and support the feeder league (first divisions),” he said.

His views were echoed by NN Secretary General, Imelda Nerongo, who said she was looking forward to the four teams that will be promoted from the first divisions with the hope that they will be very competitive, in order to avoid one-sided matches.

“The teams that are coming in should try and reach the levels we saw this season. We do not want big disparities between the teams. Regions should help the team to be competitive,” she said.

She added that the first division can only become strong if sponsors invest, the same way MTC had invested in the first division.

Nerongo said they want to see younger players joining premier league teams, while also promising an improvement of the league’s administration.

Meanwhile, Chief Administrator of the Namibia Sports Commission, Freddy Mwiya, said through the sponsorship from MTC, netball is now recognised as one of the three National Sports Codes in Namibia.

The 2022 MTC NNPL concluded on Saturday, with Mighty Gunners crowned as champions, while Grootfontein, Northern Flyballers, Blue Waters and Young Stars were relegated to their respective regional first divisions.

Source: The Namibian Press Agency

Namibian athletes to compete at Outeniqua Wheelchair Challenge

The Namibia Paralympic Committee (NPC) will be sending a group of athletes to represent the country at the upcoming Outeniqua Wheelchair Challenge that will be held in George, South Africa.

The challenge, which is a unique event for disabled athletes in South Africa, will be staged in the picturesque town of George on 15 October 2022.

The NPC will this year be sending five athletes who will compete against other athletes racing in wheelchairs, adapted bicycles, hand cycles, basketball chairs and ordinary wheelchairs.

In an interview with Nampa on Monday, NPC secretary general Michael Hamukwaya said their team is ready to once again show the world what they are capable of.

“The team is expected to travel on Wednesday but we are still sorting out logistics in terms of finances,” he said, adding that the NPC is currently not in a financial position to send the team but they have communicated with the Motor Vehicle Accident Fund to financially support the team for this trip.

Hamukwaya said the Namibian team will have two wheelchair racers and three hand cyclists.

“We have Roodley Gowaseb and Nico Kharuxab who will be racing in the wheelchair category while Modetsu Simon, Gabriel Nghiihililwa and Lukas Ndahanwapo will compete in the hand cycling event,” Hamukwaya said.

He also stated that since the NPC hosted its cycling event earlier this year with the assistance of Inclusive Cycling, the NPC has set itself a goal to continue increasing its sports codes.

“Lately we have seen interest from athletes in cycling, so we are sending more athletes to different events for this cycle challenge. As NPC we would like to thank Inclusive Cycling from the United States of America who donated one of the hand cycles, and the Run Along Foundation based in Ongwediva who sponsored the NPC with another hand cycle as this has made it easier for our athletes to start cycling,” he said.

Source: The Namibian Press Agency

Sosh Music Show Spreads Mental Health Awareness

D-Naff Entertainment on Saturday hosted a music show aimed at contributing towards the fight against mental health stigmatisation and to encourage people to seek help for mental health problems.

The ‘Speak Out, Seek Help (SOSH)’ event was a collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Social Services, Lifeline/Childline and the Office of the First Lady, amongst other partners. It brought artists together to spread mental health awareness and to fight stigmatisation through music.

Founder of D-Naff Entertainment and SOSH organiser, Naftalie Amukwelele who is well-known in the music industry as D-Naff, said he got the idea to host such an event because many musicians battle mental health issues, especially due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Amukwelele said musicians suffered huge financial losses as no music shows took place because of the pandemic. He added that mental health problems are not only experienced by musicians, but by many young Namibians who suffered various losses due to COVID-19.

He indicated that the show was an extensive call, as the world observes World Mental Health Day on 10 October, to musicians and young Namibians to speak up and seek help, and to end the stigma associated with mental health.

Source: The Namibian Press Agency

Qatar and Namibia strengthen oil development industry

Namibia and Qatar have consolidated actions geared towards the development of the oil industry through QatarEnergy’s investment in the recent oil discoveries in the country by TotalEnergies and Shell.

The consolidation follows President Hage Geingob’s bilateral visit to Qatar in February 2022 aimed at seeking investors in areas of mutual interest such as agriculture, energy and tourism.

Speaking during a courtesy visit to Geingob here yesterday, Qatar’s Minister of Energy Saad bin Sherida Al Kaabi said QatarEnergy, which is the state-owned petroleum company, is investing in the oil industry through their partners TotalEnergies, Shell, as well as the government by ensuring that the oil industry development benefits Namibians.

Al Kaabi said the two countries have developed a good relationship, therefore QatarEnergy will submit its development plan to the government once the expedition is completed with the partners in an effort to ensure that Namibians greatly benefit from the oil sector.

“We are working very hard with our partners to try and expedite the process which will foresee the development. As a nation of great oil companies, we want to make sure that in everything we do here we support the Namibian government to make sure the developments also greatly supports the citizens,” he noted.

NAMPA

2 (LESOTHO, 11 OCT, AFP) – A millionaire political novice won the most votes in legislative elections in Lesotho but fell short of securing a parliamentary majority that could have ended long-running political gridlock, officials said yesterday.

Revolution for Prosperity (RFP), a party set up only six months ago by businessman Sam Matekane, 64, won 56 out of 120 seats in parliament, according to final results published by the southern African country’s electoral commission.

The small mountain kingdom has been governed for the past decade by a string of coalition governments that have proved fractious and frail, and no premier has served out a full five-year term.

‘Thousands of voters across the entire country endured long queues to exercise their democratic right,’ said Mphasa Mokhochane, chairman of the Independent Electoral Commission.

Matekane, who styles himself as a champion of the country’s business community and was considered an outsider in the vote, came close to an outright win but will now have to secure the support of smaller parties to form a government.

AFP

3 (N’DJAMENA, 11 OCT, AFP) – Chad’s ruler Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno yesterday said a ‘government of national union’ would be created in the coming days to steer the course toward new elections following a forum on the country’s future.

The government ‘will put its heart and soul into ensuring that the will of the Chadian people is fully upheld,’ said Deby at ceremonies where he was appointed ‘transitional president’ after the forum which ended on Saturday.

Chad, one of the world’s poorest countries, has endured repeated uprisings and unrest since gaining independence from France in 1960.

Deby, a 38-year-old five-star general, took the helm in April 2021 after his father, Idriss Deby Itno, who had ruled with an iron fist for three decades, was killed during an operation against rebels.

Parliament was dissolved and the constitution suspended as Deby was proclaimed president.

AFP

4 (PARIS, 11 OCT, AFP) – Iranian protesters remained defiant yesterday with students staging sit-ins and some industrial workers going on strike despite a crackdown activists say has left dozens dead and hundreds more imprisoned.

Videos posted on social media indicated that protests flared at various points in the capital and other cities over recent days, with women burning headscarves and shouting slogans against the Islamic republic.

Kurdish rights group Hengaw accused the authorities of using heavy weaponry, including ‘shelling’ on neighbourhoods and ‘machine gun fire’, in the northwestern city of Sanandaj — claims which could not be independently confirmed amid widespread internet blocks.

Gunshots were also heard in Amini’s home town of Saqqez, said the Norway-based group.

The unrest erupted over three weeks ago over the death of Mahsa Amini, 22, an Iranian woman of Kurdish origin who died following her arrest by the notorious Tehran morality police who enforce the strict dress rules on women including compulsory headscarves.

AFP

5 (RAMALLAH, 11 OCT, XINHUA) – A 12-year-old Palestinian yesterday succumbed to wounds he sustained from Israeli soldiers’ gunfire during their raid on the northern West Bank city of Jenin in late September.

The 12-year-old, identified as Mahmoud Samoudi from Jenin, was critically injured by a bullet in the belly when Israeli army raided Jenin on Sept. 28, the Palestinian Ministry of Health said in a statement.

Four Palestinians were killed and 44 others, including Samoudi, were injured during the raid, according to the ministry.

The number of the Palestinians killed by the Israeli army on their territories since early January has climbed to 165, according to the ministry.

Meanwhile, 19 Israelis have been killed and dozens injured in a series of armed attacks carried out by Palestinians in Israeli cities since March, according to official Israeli figures.

Source: The Namibian Press Agency