Chinese company reinstates striking wokers at Walvis

WALVIS BAY: Seventy seven employees of China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) who went on an illegal strike and suspended last week Monday were reinstated on Monday.

This was announced by Secretary General of the National Union of Namibian Workers (NUNW) Job Muniaro at a press conference in Walvis Bay Monday.

He said the union pleaded with CHEC not to fire the employees and fortunately they agreed, as their intention was not to fire anyone.

The group is employed as general workers on contracts at the construction of the new container terminal at Walvis Bay harbor.

They embarked on one-day illegal strike last week Monday citing amongst other grievances, the ill treatment, and unfair dismissal and demanding their temporary contracts of employment to be permanent.

All of them were suspended on Tuesday for being in an illegal strike and putting the company’s name in disrepute.

They were reinstated with warning letters, that they should formally communicate their strikes or demonstration in the future.

“The dispute was solved amicably, all workers are reinstated without deductions or lose of employment benefits. From the union side we apologise for the inconveniences on the project,” Muniaro said.

He said employees who do not have adequate knowledge of the labour law caused the illegal strike.

The CHEC management at the press conference promised to educate the employees on such laws to improve their understanding.

“Mistakes are done by us and also corrected by us, we must work together for the development of or country. We hope this will not happen again,” says Muniaro.

Management also said they will introduce a performance evaluation system to help them choose the hardworking and disciplined workers for consideration for contracts renewal.

The workers are currently on two weeks to three months contracts, such contracts will be renewed based on their performances, otherwise new employees will be brought in.

The N.dollars 3 billion terminal construction started early this year, and is expected to be completed by 2016.

(edited)WALVIS BAY; Seventy-seven employees of China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) who went on an illegal strike and were suspended last week, were reinstated on Monday.

This was announced by acting Secretary-General of the National Union of Namibian Workers (NUNW) Job Muniaro at a media conference in Walvis Bay on Monday.

He said the union pleaded with CHEC not to fire the employees and fortunately they agreed, saying their intention was not to fire anyone.

Muniaro said employees who do not have adequate knowledge of the country’s labour law, caused the illegal strike.

The workers are employed to do general work on a contract basis in the construction of a new container terminal at the Walvis Bay harbour.

They embarked on a one-day illegal strike last Monday, citing amongst other grievances ill treatment from their bosses, unfair dismissals and lack of permanent employment at the company.

All of them were suspended on Tuesday for participating in an illegal strike and for bringing the company’s name in disrepute.

The workers were reinstated on warning, and were urged to formally communicate any planned strike or demonstration to management in future.

“The dispute was solved amicably. All workers are reinstated without deductions or loss of employment benefits. From the union’s side, we apologise for the inconvenience on the project,” Muniaro said.

‘Mistakes are made by us and also corrected by us. We must work together for the development of our country, and we hope this will not happen again,’ he said.

The unionist further said that the CHEC management has promised to educate the employees on such laws to improve their understanding.

Management will also introduce a performance evaluation system to help them choose the hardworking and disciplined workers for contract renewals.

The workers are currently on two-week to three-month contracts, and such contracts will in future be renewed based on their performance, otherwise new employees will be brought in.

The N.dollars 3 billion terminal construction started early this year, and is expected to be completed by 2016.

SOURCE: NAMPA

Leave a Reply