Alleged killer denied bail at Keetmanshoop

The bail hearing of 22-year-old Richard Swartz, who stands accused of stabbing a 45-year-old man to death here in June last year, was denied bail at the end of his formal bail hearing application.

Swartz appeared in the Keetmanshoop Magistrate's Court on Friday before magistrate Melissa Mungunda.

Handing down the judgment Mungunda said defense has failed to convince the court why the applicant should be granted bail.

Mungunda said it is likely that the accused might interfere with state witness as he knows them.

During the bail hearing it was evident that the accused knows the witnesses even the key witness and even though the state did not prove that there is a relationship between this key witness and the accused, he knows her, he knows where she stays and might interfere or influence her, she said.

The magistrate noted even though the accused was diagnosed with high blood pressure recently and has to take tablets every morning, defense did not provide any evidence that the accused has encounter any trouble in acquiring the tablets or taking them.

Mungunda then postponed the case to 14 November 2019 for plea.

Legal aid defence lawyer Maruschka January represented Swartz while the State was represented by Frederick van der Colf.

Swartz allegedly stabbed Moses Diba in the chest, causing his death at a liquor store in the Noordhoek residential area on 29 June 2018.

He allegedly grabbed a knife from Diba, who was busy assaulting his (Swartz's) ex-girlfriend and stabbed him. Diba died on the spot.

Swartz remains in custody at the police holding cells in Keetmanshoop until his next court appearance.

Source: Namibia Press Agency