Mandume to fight Jarman, and not Hango next weekend

WINDHOEK: Local boxer Pohamba ‘The President’ Mandume will now defend his Namibian welterweight title against Anthony Jarman, and not Tommy ‘The Lion’ Hango as previously announced.

Boxing promoter Kinda Nangolo told Nampa on Thursday that the fight has also been postponed from 08 March to 15 March due to some delays, which he did not want to disclose.

Mandume and Hango were set to face each other in a rematch.

Mandume scooped that title from Hango in Walvis Bay last May on points.

“Hango told me last month, around the 18th of February, that he could no longer take up the fight. So, we had to look for another opponent,” explained Nangolo.

The fight will take place at the Windhoek Country Club Resort and Casino.

Nangolo said TN Mobile is now the main sponsor of the event.

Mandume holds a record of 12 fights, of which he won five, drew two and lost five, while Jarman holds a record of nine fights – eight wins and one defeat.

In the non-title undercard bouts on the same night, Varde Ndayambekwa will square-off against Kennedy Kamati, while Christian Uukelo will fight Phillip Swartbooi, with Niilo Costa Frans against Toivo Mukwendje – all in the lightweight category.

Paulus Petrus and Lukas Mukete will fight in the light-welterweight category, while Mathew Kaandala will fight Mathew Chiimbi, and Johannes Kutumba will fight Shimuna David in the featherweight division.

Amateur boxers Nangundu Dorian and Tangeni Neliwe will fight in the bantamweight category.

Tickets will be on sale as from Monday at the Boxing Control Board, and also at the venue on fight night at N.dollars 200 per person and N.dollars 10 000 per table seating 10 people.