Otavi-Otjiwarongo road accident victim succumbs to injuries

A 27-year-old man who was part of the five victims in a road accident outside Otavi on Monday that involved a newspaper distribution minibus, succumbed to his injuries on Monday evening at Otjiwarongo where he was transferred.

Spokesperson of the Namibian Police Force in the Otjozondjupa Region, Inspector Maureen Mbeha in an interview with Nampa on Tuesday said the deceased's next of kin are yet to be informed of his death.

Mbeha earlier on Monday said the vehicle at the time of accident had five occupants in total of which three were females aged 12, 27, 39, and two males a 27-year-old now deceased, and the 42-year-old driver.

Mbeha explained that New Era Newspaper minibus which was used for distribution was travelling from the direction of Otavi to Otjiwarongo.

At about 36 kilometres south of Otavi, at approximately 12h09, it is alleged the vehicle had a left front tyre burst, said Mbeha, adding that the driver then lost control over it and it overturned several times.

Mbeha said the occupants sustained slight to serous injuries and were first treated at the Otavi State Clinic on Monday, before transferred to Otjiwarongo State Hospital and to other private medical facilities the same day.

The driver who is still admitted in the hospital now face charges of culpable homicide, reckless and/or negligent driving.

Police investigations at Otavi continue.

Source: Namibia Press Agency